Freedom app removed from the iOS App Store

(I’ve edited your post, so the URL’s are displayed with link preview, give more info)

Wow, that is serious news. First of all, let me say that you have a wonderful product, a true humane tech app, that you could present in ‘Humane Design > Exemplars’ category for discussion on its humane aspects.

On Hacker News there were some recent threads (like Apple’s best product is now privacy) that discussed whether Apple is a (the most) privacy-respecting company, and deliberately has privacy as a unique-selling point (USP) - or that their position regarding privacy/security more or less accidentally emerged from the fact that they are a walled garden with proprietary services and hardware lock-in.

They sure benefit from the fact that many users think they have privacy as a deliberate USP, but I personally think the latter, accidental rise of this quality, is their true position.

What is really the problem, and why IMHO Apple is not a humane tech company - is that they are a monopoly (or better, an oligopoly, with the other big tech players) and just like Google, Facebook et al, they tend to abuse that position. (Apple also has unethical production lines, think Foxconn etc. but that is beside the point here).

It will probably be hard to get the real reason from Apple for the removal (I’m sure your tried all your channels), but you could consider starting some HN discussions on your own. If you do that the right way, they can have big impact, even on the tech giants, as the recent Google Chrome discussions showed (see my post: Recent changes to Google Chrome cause huge uproar in tech community! )

7 Likes